• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Martial Arts

rm-rf

Bluelight Crew
So I am torn between two Kung Fu schools. Both are in my neighborhood.

One trains way more weapons, has meditation classes, flexible schedule, and teaches Shaolin style.

The other only teaches two weapons (dual wield swords or spears), has a rigid schedule, is easier to access (I live in a big city), and teaches Ving Tsun style.

Anyone with experience in Kung Fu have any advice for a newbie? I am learning to train in a lot of weapons, it will be many years before I get to weapons training, but I want to learn a style that mandates extreme discipline.

ideally, yes. I have a really busy life, I work a full time job and freelance. I dont wanna give up weightlifting either, and I will need some days to physically rest. Adding one more athletic activity to that pretty much cuts out partying time, but Im kinda bored of partying anyways. So basically, if I went to both schools (oddly enough they have classes on opposite days), id have 0 time to let my body heal from weightlifting/martial arts.

My impression of Wing Chun is it's no non-sense self-defense. Most of what they teach you is designed to seriously hurt people. I'm partial to meditation but the core principles of kungfu are going to be the same for both. I'd go with the better teacher.

Hey, just focus more on your mind, body and soul. The weapon training only comes after you master the art of kung-fu.
Learn a fighting style, krane,tiger,monkey,etc. Once you learn your style your weapon of choice will fall into place. :)

My impression of Wing Chun is it's no non-sense self-defense. Most of what they teach you is designed to seriously hurt people. I'm partial to meditation but the core principles of kungfu are going to be the same for both. I'd go with the better teacher.

tho im not sure wing chun would be optimal for someone doing weightlifting

I trained on Tong Long Kung Fu for years.

I'd like to give something else a shot, these days Jujutsu & Aikido have my interest.

When I was studying in and training Tong Long it's all open hand close range combat style but I also learnt how to use a number of weapons starting with a staff and working my way up to swords.

Have fun.

Last edited:
^ Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. In certain cases, tai chi > muay thai.

I was curious about trying Wing Tsun a year or two ago, but haven't been able to find a place that is less than an hour away from me. Tried a single Judo class a while ago, but since I have a bum shoulder all it would take is a little bit of pressure in the wrong direction and I'll crumple. Since Judo is more competitive, that would put me at enough of a disadvantage to make it pointless. Not to mention more likely to get hurt.

^ Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. In certain cases, tai chi > muay thai.

If you're looking to properly condition your body, and learn self defense that will actually enable you to protect yourself. Then you're better off at sticking with some sort of NHB MMA (which will teach you a variety of styles and methods). As far as Tai Chi goes, in no real world situation will it actually help you defend yourself, and as a meditation it is also a complete joke IME.

Wing Tsun, Kung Fu, Taekwondo, etc. all look good and are beautiful art forms as are most types of eastern Martial arts, but as REAL WORLD SITUATIONS GO most of them are pretty useless.

Judo and Aikido on the other hand are very useful.

Long story short, most fights go to the ground. If you don't know how to fight on the ground then most of what you will learn with many of these other types of Martial arts won't prove to be much on the off chance that do have to defend yourself.

Last edited:
Most fights go to the ground, because most fights aren't fought by trained fighters. If the fight goes to the ground it doesn't matter how good you are, you are at the mercy of the bystanders.

If you put an MMA fighter and a kungfu fighter in a ring I wouldn't be surprised if the MMA fighter won. Outside the ring there are other factors though. Wing Tsun is designed to work in the real world. Although effective, Muay Thai is designed for a sports context. I'll take a Muay Thai punch over a Wing Tsun eye jab any day.

Another factor is aging. MMA styles rely heavily on conditioning. Over time you accumulate injuries and age starts taking its toll. Kungfu is more about finesse and efficiency. Kungfu masters are still very effective into old age.

Martial arts practitioners generally work out on a regular basis, so they are physically fit, and they develop reflexes that have practical use in self defense situations. That doesn't mean that any martial artist can defend themselves effectively in any situation. But I'd prefer to have the training and experience rather than not have it. My background is with Kenpo and Wah Lum.

Most fights go to the ground, because most fights aren't fought by trained fighters. If the fight goes to the ground it doesn't matter how good you are, you are at the mercy of the bystanders.

That is why I took up Krav Maga as it incorporates all real world situations at each level. Even teaching you how to get off the ground in a crowd because it is definitely not where you want to be.

Am i too old to learn martial arts? Im 20, and dont wanna be getting wierd looks, i can always learn fighting moves on the interwebs. But im thinking of something with kicks or distance, but not like some typical karate shit. Any suggestions?

Never too old man! Specially with Aikido :)

Aikido is great as a fighting form and way of life. Wouldn't use it as a main system in real life situations but you can certainly incoperate alot of its elements in with some unsavoury strikes.

Am i too old to learn martial arts? Im 20, and dont wanna be getting wierd looks, i can always learn fighting moves on the interwebs. But im thinking of something with kicks or distance, but not like some typical karate shit. Any suggestions?

Fly to Thailand and learn some serious kick boxing.

I'm learning how to use my bankai. :)

That is why I took up Krav Maga as it incorporates all real world situations at each level. Even teaching you how to get off the ground in a crowd because it is definitely not where you want to be.

I am about to start Krav Maga next week. An intense program. I'm really looking forward to the challenge.

Took karate and kickboxing in the past, and I'm a gym-rat, but I think this is going to add very much to my "arsenal."

I love the anti-"officialness" of its approach. Nothing but straight-up, real-world self-defense and fighting.

Not to hijack the thread, but Wyld 4 X, realistically how far can I get with this in about 5-6 months time, if I'm looking at doing 1 "basic course, 1 "padwork course" and 1 "groundwork" course each week? And giving it my all? I say this, because this is the time before I might be moving to a location where I may face danger on a regular basis...